That we've made progress in the sleep realm with Savannah. I don't know whether to chalk it up to something finally "clicking" for her, or the bribery and persuasion we resorted to. Heck, we've tried bribery and persuasion before, but now I think she's starting to understand it better.
Nearly two weeks ago, she threw up again at bedtime. Peter got her cleaned up and told her that she still had to go back to bed. We had a little talk about how mommy & daddy sleep in their own bed, and how Tristan sleeps in his own bed. I'm not proud of it, but I did tell her that if she wouldn't sleep in her bed all night like a big girl, she would have to start sleeping in a crib again. I also told her that if she stayed in her own bed by herself all night, that she could have ice cream the next day. The three of us had a little talk, and we agreed to leave her bedroom door open and the hall light on for her. We explained to her that she would be able to hear us downstairs, that we wouldn't be far away.
And she stayed in her own bed. All night. She got ice cream the next day.
The next night, it was the same agreement. She did run to the bathroom to throw up, but Peter told her that if she threw up, she was still going to have to go to bed by herself, and that she would have an upset tummy. She didn't throw up, and we put her back in bed.
And she stayed in her own bed. All night. More ice cream the next day.
And so on, and so forth. She's gotten up a couple of times, asking to use the potty. Also, the train wakes her up once in a while and she'll come in our room. But the amazing thing is, we can take her back to her bed, and she'll lie there and go back to sleep. For the last two weeks almost, she's slept every night in her own bed, the entire night most nights.
Sleep has been a long struggle for us. There have been a lot of sleepless nights, nights with her in our bed, nights that Peter spent in her room either with her, or alone since she was kicking him too much in our bed. I give major props to my husband for being willing to endure the brunt of the sleep issues, primarily taking her to bed every night and lying in bed with her until she fell asleep. Most of that fell to him since he has the ability to turn around and go to bed afterward. If I lie there and fall asleep with her, I'd be up the rest of the night. So he took the huge responsibility of Savannah's bedtime. I can never thank him enough for that, and for all he's put up with throughout this struggle.
I feel like it's finally come to an end, and I'm so grateful that Savannah is now getting the rest she needs. A huge weight feels like it has been lifted off of us. It's nice to be making progress, and it's so much better for her. Now we need to get back into the potty training groove, and see if that will fall into place.
No comments:
Post a Comment